Your website is how you begin to build your business.
It is how you connect with your audience as they:
- search for details about your business (What time does Boca Burger close?)
- search for a solution to the problem without knowing who will provide the answer (Where can I get a burger in Tampa?)
Showing up when a customer needs you is an important way to establish initial trust and begin to forge a lasting relationship.
In our digital age, people don’t believe in a business they can’t find online. You absolutely need to have a clean, fresh website there to greet customers when they are searching for answers.
But now, as more searches turn to their phones to search for information, it’s not enough to have a website that looks good on a desktop.
You need a website that looks good on mobiles devices, phones, and tablets.
Growing Mobile Search and Your Website
BIA/Kelsey Local Media Watch predicts that by next year mobile search will begin to eclipse desktop search.
As a small business owner, that matters to you. According to a Google study:
- 51% of consumers search for local information on-the-go
- 50% of consumers who conducted a local search on their smartphone visited a store within a day
- 1 in 3 searches on smartphones occur right before customers visit a store
People are using their mobile devices to search for you and find information about your business. You need your site to be optimized for these devices by utilizing responsive website design.
What Is Responsive Website Design?
It isn’t as complicated as it sounds.
Responsive website design means that your site automatically arranges itself to look its best on the given screen size.
This website is responsive. So if you view it on a large desktop screen, it will look different than if you open it on your smart phone. The website responds to the screen size and restructures the information so that it is easy to read. (If you are using a desktop, shrink this window to half of its original size. That is responsive design in action.)
This infographic by Hall Internet Marketing does a great job at showing how responsive design works and why it is important.
As a small business owner, you don’t need to understand how responsive design works. You only need to know why it is important.
- Consumers use the internet to find information about businesses.
- More and more consumers are using their phones to perform their searches.
- A website with responsive design optimizes your site for mobile search.
So if you want to connect with consumers searching on mobile devices, you need a clean responsive website that consumers can find, view, and trust.